Disclaimer

All of the topics discussed here in this blog comes from my real life encounters. They serve as references for future research. All of the data, contents and information presented in my entries have been altered and edited to protect the confidentiality and privacy of the clients.

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Install OBIEE 11G on Linux part 1

Hello

Today I want to talk about the detail process that I went through to install OBIEE 11G and setting up the entire OBIEE development environment. In my case, I was given a Linux machine and told that I was free to do anything with it as long as I install OBIEE 11G there and use it as development environment.

Doing it from scratch forced me to evaluate everything about the environment, so let me start by going over the prerequisites that my machine needs to have before doing the installation.

1. Depending on the OS versions, OBIEE might require certain library files. The missing files will be informed during the initial environment check when installing OBIEE. Moreover, OBIEE 11G needs to connect to the Database. In my case, we are using Oracle DB. So 2 scenarios are presented:

A: If installing 11g on the same machine where Oracle DB is installed, then it the DB and Oracle DB Client tools should already be there.

B: If installing 11g on a different machine and intend to connect remotely to the DB Machine, then Oracle DB Client is needed. Also, RCU needs to be ran on that machine as well because chances are, the sysdba user of that DB Machine is not accessible directly from this machine.

If using other DB, please check the requirements

2.  Add the following lines into /etc/security/limits.conf
*           hard                nofile              10240
*           soft                  nofile              10240


Test it as root user to verify ulimit setting

3. Download and move all of the OBIEE 11G files as well as RCU zip files to the Linux machine and unzip them:

Unzipping RCU files:


Unzipping OBIEE 11G files:

4. The RCU and the 11G installation are done through a windows UI, therefore the displaying of it in Linux or Unix environment needs to be set up by configuring the $Display environment variable. In my case, things are done by accessing Linux through VNCviewer and the display is set at 4:


Now ready to run RCU:




Continuing on to the next entry

Stay tuned!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...